Wednesday 15 February 2012

The Golden Fleece - Sunday

Sunday night in town is usually dead, but after a couple of drinks in the Lincolnshire Poacher I had become bored of the relaxed blues guitarist sat in the corner. He was playing music far too intense for the early evening. So it was time to head to the Golden Fleece where Will Robinson was putting on an 'I'm not from London' night. For those of you who don't know his nights they are often full of very loud bands. Despite it being a Sunday this night was no different!

First on the stage was a very interesting young lady. Fay Brotherhood had a very quirky stage presence and played while swaying side to side and singing with a haunting and special voice. With a head full of dreadlocks and a decorated guitar Fay was definitely interesting to watch. Overall her performance was enchantingly gripping, with the song about the moon being one to listen out for.

Following Fay Brotherhood onto the stage was a band who I had to have the name of repeated to me several times before I could comprehend. A band I had expected to be top drawer due to the fact they are a side project of wonderful local band Baby Godzilla. 'Aggard Cat Bothday Present' (see its not just me) dropped straight in to fantastically dirty riffs, with the drummer banging the shit out of his drum kit. This two piece were much louder than the previous act. Looking promising! Someone sat near me complained about the guitarist facing away from the stage but on close inspection you could see the two watching one another and hanging on every note. This attention to detail kept the music sounding really tight, but also meaning that their music is probably slightly different every time they play. Each song was Energetic and brilliant from start to finish, I wanted to run up to the front, rip my shirt off and dance like a mother fucker but obviously I needed to keep a clear head to write this blog entry. There were elements of Jack White guitar playing from the guitarist and to be honest with you from where I was sat you could have mistaken the pair for Jack and Meg White: long hair, head banging, and staring into each others eyes while playing. They may or may not thank me for that comment. Overall top quality music, a definite band to watch out for.

Knife Cutter were up next, another ear burstingly loud two piece. This pair were packed full of adrenaline, but almost sounded cleaner somehow than the previous duo. You could hear that they have worked hard on their music and have practised a lot. Another very tight band. However it just sounded too clean and well rehearsed for my liking. Despite the polished sound I really enjoyed all of their songs, the only thing that let them down was the tumble weed during the interludes. I think the drummer fancied himself as a bit of a comedian. There were one or two hints of laughter from the bar, but nobody else seemed interested in his voice, they, like me, wanted to hear more music. Overall a good band, who probably sound great recorded but for me were not up to the highest of standards entertainment wise. I was not too disappointed when they finished.

Finally a band that I still cannot make my mind up about. I almost regret calling Knife Cutter too clean, as compared to Black Canvas they were as filthy as the floors in rescue rooms. All three members of Black Canvas were good musicians but in my eyes they lacked 'Aggard Cat's' and 'Fay Brotherhood's' sparks and stage presence. When they covered a kasabian song, it just sounded just like the kasabian song, they may take that as a compliment which it is. Though it was a fairly average song and it lacked improvisation and randomness. They lacked confidence on stage but if they worked on this and experimented a bit more they could be a really great band.

By the end of the night my ears were ringing and I had fully enjoyed the night, though the night would have been much better if the bands had been in a different order. Aggard Cat are headliners in the eyes of Bobby Orange!


Peace out all, speak to you soon.

Bobby Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment